sixth+mill pizzeria and bar, Factory Place Hospitality Group’s newest concept, is now Downtown Los Angeles’ hottest new pizzeria.
The highly-anticipated neighborhood pizzeria and bar is currently open for dinner at 5 p.m., nightly, and will add lunch service starting Tuesday, Sept. 4. Limited reservations are now available via Open Table or by visiting sixthandmill.com and walk-ins are always welcome.
sixth+mill pizzeria and bar is Factory Place Hospitality Group’s third restaurant, led by Culinary Director and Executive Chef Angelo Auriana and Restaurateur Matteo Ferdinandi. The restaurant reflects Southern Italian comfort food, including Neopolitan-style pizzas, durum wheat pastas, shareable plates, fritters and salads.
Highlighted dishes include sorrentina, a hearty dish from Campania, is a light potato gnocchi with a bright tomato sauce, topped with burrata cheese. The panzerotti, cauliflower with a rich, savory Parmigiano white sauce and polpette flavorful meatballs served with tomato and mozzarella.
What makes their pizza different:
- Pizzas are cooked in Mario Acunto’s Neapolitan-style wood-fired oven encased with refractory bricks, allowing a thermal source of heat to provide consistency throughout the baking process.
- A traditional Italian spiral mixer slow mixes the dough allowing for a better fermentation process that develops a lighter dough and signature flavor.
- Chef Angelo’s natural yeast mixture.
- A combination of flours creates pizza that is slightly crispy on the outside, soft and tender inside, light and highly digestible.
- Italian-imported ingredients including cheeses, cured meats, and olive oil from the mountainous terrain of Molise, coupled with local produce, enhance the authenticity and freshness of each dish.
Pizzas are divided into two categories, Pizza Rosse or red pizza and Pizza Bianche white pizza. Highlights from the menu include puttanesca, a traditional Italian favorite without cheese and served with olives, capers, anchovies, garlic, oregano and evoo. While most interpretations of margherita pizza are served with basil, sixth+mill serves the margherita pizza with fior di latte, Apulian olive oil and oregano. The colorful vince is a white pizza with mozzarella, mortadella, pistachio and zucchini flowers.
sixth+mill features an affordable wine list (almost all wines by the bottle are under $50), draft beers offer crisp and refreshing selections from local breweries and beyond. The cocktail list includes the San Gennaro: Bols Genever, Carpano and a splash of soda and a vibrant red Malafemmena or “bad woman” cocktail, named after the famous Italian song, made with tomato juice, spices and vodka.
Ferdinandi and Auriana share the vision of imparting their Italian roots and memories through food and welcoming hospitality. sixth+mill pizzeria and bar will open its second location April 2019 in Las Vegas at Grand Canal Shoppes at The Venetian® in St. Mark’s Square. It will join its sister restaurant The Factory Kitchen Las Vegas—scheduled to open December 2018, also in The Venetian.
The Downtown Los Angeles Arts District is now open at 1335 East 6th Street.
sixth+mill pizzeria and bar offers nightly dinner service, 5 p.m. – 11 p.m. and lunch will be added starting next week on Tuesday, Sept. 4, at which time the hours will be 11 a.m. – 11 p.m., daily.
All photos by Nikki New courtesy of Factory Place Hospitality Group