For 10 years, the Association of Media & Entertainment Counsil (AMEC) held its sell-out Counsil of the Year ceremony at the iconic House of Blues. In its place, January 2018, AMEC will launch an annual two-day Law and Justice International Film Festivaland Awards at Arclight Cinemas Beach Cities featuring:
Virtual and Augmented Reality On The World Stage presented by USC’s Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT) and Moderated by Nishith Desai Associates – India’s leading international law and panel of in-house counsel.
Interactive presentation Lawyers on Film: Why Do They Hate Us? Guest speaker – Nancy B. Rapoport, Garman Turner Gordon Professor of Law, UNLV and leading expert on contemporary legal ethics.
Screening of Crime and Punishment starring Vanessa Redgrave and John Hurt. Discussion What Crime and Punishment says and means to today’s attorneys and judges. Guest speaker – Marcus Levitt, Professor Emeritus of Slavic Languages and Literatures , University of Sothern California – Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences. Leading authority on Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Screening of The Trial, a 2012 film starring Matthew Modine based on novel by practicing attorney Robert Whitlow.
The following jury of entertainment executives and attorneys will select winners in various categories for law and legal issues based content:
- Vernon Chu, General Counsel, BBC Worldwide North America
- Gilda Brasch, Reality television producer and director
- Hon. Carlos R. Moreno (Ret.), former United States District Judge and California Supreme Court Justice
- Madeline Di Nonno, CEO, Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
- Erica Van Loon, Partner and Head of the Trademark, Copyright and Media Practice, Glaser Weil
- RJ Mitte, actor, Breaking Bad
- Claudia Teran, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, FOX Sports
- Chacko Vadaketh, Cambridge trainer Barrister, actor and voiceover artist
- In addition, AMEC will honor the top in-house counsel at the major studios, networks, talent agcnies and global media companies.