On Summer days like the ones we’ve had, “I scream, you scream, we all scream,” for something sweet and cold to relieve the heat.
Scream no more except with delight! A new book, Frozen Paleo: Dairy-Free Ice Cream, Pops, Pies, Granitas, Sorbets, & More is now on the market with recipes to satisfy cravings and dietary restrictions.
Using whole ingredients like coconut milk, fruit, nuts and chocolate—with no refined sugar, dairy, gluten, or processed ingredients, these recipes are not only perfect for those on a Paleo or “clean eating” diet, but for anyone with a dairy allergy or lactose intolerance, or just someone who wants a better-for-you frozen treat! And because they’re “do-it-yourself” treats, you’ll also be getting plenty of nutrition in every bite.
With flavors like Maple Caramel, Mint Chip, Key Lime and Chocolate Almond, plus quick-and-easy frozen treats like popsicles, frozen pies, granitas, and more, there is something here for everyone, like this antioxidant-rich recipe below:
Blueberry Pomegranate Popsicles
Makes 6 Popsicles
2 cups frozen blueberries (240 g)
3 tablespoons raw honey (45 ml), divided
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (10 ml)
¹⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice (240 ml)
- In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan heat the blueberries, 2 tablespoons honey, lemon juice, and cinnamon over medium heat. Cook the mixture and stir occasionally until it begins to thicken and get bubbly. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Pour the blueberry mixture into a food processor or blender and buzz until mixture is smooth.
- Now pour this mixture into your popsicle molds. Place the molds into the freezer. If you’d like, you can tip the molds on an angle, so that you’ll get blueberry in every bite. Freeze for 2 hours.
- Add the pomegranate juice and 1 tablespoon honey to a heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook until the honey has melted and combined with the juice. You’ll need to stir this a little while the honey is melting. Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Pull your popsicles from the freezer and carefully pour pomegranate juice into the molds. Place the popsicles back into the freezer and freeze for
2 hours. Remove the molds from the freezer and insert popsicle sticks. Put the molds back into the freezer and freeze overnight.