Since March 3, 1941, fans have been making M&M’S the most popular chocolate candies on earth. To celebrate their anniversary, M&M’S is bringing the celebration to their fans – all year long.
Fans can get in on the action by following the #CelebratewithM hashtag and M&M’S social media pages for epic birthday surprises, exclusive access to one-of-a-kind experiences, the ability to determine the next M&M’S flavor to hit store shelves and more.
Want to know about the history of M&Ms? Check out the timeline here.
The celebration kicked off on February 29th with the release of “Candyman,” a modern remake of Sammy Davis Jr.’s The Candy Man song (1972) featuring multi-platinum, Grammy® award winning artist Zedd and Grammy® nominated musician and songwriter Aloe Blacc in partnership with M&M’S.
In addition to the release of “Candyman,” the M&M’S Brand will launch:
- Retro Packaging: #TBT wouldn’t be complete without the M&M’S version of a throwback. Available on store shelves in February, the brand will release 12 retro designs (six designs each for Milk Chocolate and Peanut inspired by the brand’s 75-year heritage and history from the 1940s – 1990s). Available at retailers nationwide, consumers can get their collectible M&M’S in single and box packs starting at $1.49.
- Flavor Vote: Starting on March 1 through June 17, fans will have the chance to vote for the next limited edition M&M’S flavor to hit store shelves. Original Peanut will go head-to-head with three new M&M’S Brand Chocolate Peanut varieties – Chili Nut, Honey Nut and Coffee Nut – in a socialized consumer campaign to determine America’s Favorite Peanut.
- Red Nose Day: For the second year, the M&M’S Brand will partner with NBC and Comic Relief as a title sponsor to raise awareness and money for the Red Nose Day Fund, an organization that helps to uplift children out of poverty. In 2015, the M&M’S Brand donated more than 1.3 million dollars to Red Nose Day charities.
- Operation Gratitude: To honor M&M’S origin as a military ration during World War II, Mars Chocolate makers of M&M’S, will donate $750,000 worth of product to Operation Gratitude for inclusion in military care packages throughout 2016.
- Be@rBrick: To commemorate M&M’S 75th anniversary, M&M’S World is launching a partnership with Japanese lifestyle brand, Be@rBrick. The exclusive line will feature Be@rBrick’s iconic collectible characters, apparel and accessories – all inspired by M&M’S heritage.