A page from the Kontos Cookbook…
Summer is in full swing and home gardens ar at their peak. If you haven’t yet harvested your basil, now’s the time! Here’s an easy Pesto Pizza recipe sent over to us by Kontos whose ready-made pizza crusts can be used on the backyard grill.
If you want to add a touch of ethnic flair to your next backyard gathering, try serving a delicious, easy-to-make pesto pizza by Demetrios Haralambatos, executive chef at Kontos Foods, who has developed this personal-sized pizza recipe just for backyard cooks. Toast them up outside on the grill, cut and serve.
“Hot summer days and balmy nights are the perfect time for backyard gatherings. This special pesto pizza recipe goes great with a crispy white wine, such as a Soave, or, pair it with a Pinot Noir, light Chianti or Rosé.” The best thing is, you can make or buy pesto sauce ahead of time, and create these pizzas for guests in just a few minutes – no hot oven required!” ~Steve Kontos, vice president and owner of Kontos Foods.
Pesto Pizza – On The Grill
4 Kontos Pizza Parlor Crusts
3 cups fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded, or crumbled, cheese for topping – try Mozzarella, Feta, Asiago, or other favorite.
- Pre-heat your outdoor grill, to high heat, with cover down.
- In a food processor, blend together (for the Pesto) basil leaves, nuts, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Pour in olive oil slowly while still mixing. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Spoon pesto mixture onto each Pizza Parlor Crust, spreading evenly.
- Top with shredded or crumbled cheese.
- Place all four pizzas on the grill. Cover, heat for 2 minutes. or until crust reaches desired crispiness.
- Remove from grill, place on cutting board. Using a pizza cutter, cut into wedges and serve.
Note: Don’t have a green thumb? No worries! Just pick up a jar of ready-made Pesto sauce, located in your grocer’s aisle near the other pasta sauces.